Friday 14 September 2018

Is it important we win at Wakefield?

For me it is.

I want us to win every game and if the coaches desire to build a Super League winning side is ever to be fulfilled then we have to get up for games after big games… if that makes sense.

You don’t just win a couple of the big matches (I.e Saints semi and Wire final) and then just clock off. Big players want that intensity week in week out and can react to it and elevate their performance.
We need to add that to our game if we are ever going to be more than a cup side and Super 8’s cannon fodder.

Since the cup final we have been playing ok but not winning matches. The St Helens game was close but I think Steve McNamara will have targeted Wakey away as one to get us back to winning ways.
Getting over the line and getting points on the league ladder (regardless of whether you can finish no higher or lower in the season) is a massively positive habit to have. I hope they approach this like the cup final and give a display that gets the result.

So I will be looking for a number of things this week. I will be looking for a return to strong set completion (we have been dropping the ball too often since the hour mark in the cup final), positive aggressive defending (without giving away penalties), and innovative plays to get us in for some points.