Monday 17 September 2018

Dragons beaten at Wakefield... but was this to be expected?

I suppose we did ask for a bit of fight…

However the result was as expected and if you can get out old website to load (and it will intermittently) you will see the sort of words and phrases we spoke earlier in the season applying today.

Dragons have clocked off haven’t they?

And I suppose back at the start of the year when we talked about “enough being enough” and the effort being described as “disgraceful” we’d have taken an 8th place finish in the Super League.
That sense of perspective is key at this stage. Back at Easter I wasn’t interested in a Challenge Cup win, I just wanted to avoid the Million Pound Game again.

So I suppose the players can be forgiven for a post Wembley dip.

I do still want to reiterate I said before this match, if we want to win titles we have to avoid post big game reductions in performance. Wigan get up for big game after big game. St Helens can get up for big game after big game, and until Catalans can match those performance levels they won’t be considered favourites over a long season.

Of course since they started hitting form and getting results the Dragons side has been on a roll. So I do have to bear that in mind, but I remain to be convinced we’ll win the Super League any time soon.