Wednesday 16 June 2021

Sell off hints at end of O'Neills deal for Dragons

 





Over the weekend Catalans Dragons started a fire sale of current kit in their own online store. 

This hasn't yet been reflected in O'Neills store over here in the UK. 

My feeling is that this could be the end of the current relationship which will have been in place for 3 years since ISC packed up and went home to Australia. 

I have been happy with the designs in the main, only pausing my purchasing in 2020 for other reasons that have been discussed at length. 

However, people I play rugby with who have used O'neills kit have cited recent issues with supply and sizing. That is anecdotal and not my personal experience, but it might be that they are looking to scale back to focus on delivery and not breadth of clubs supplied. 

If the Dragons kit deal is up for renewal, the current high profile of the club at the top of Super League should make them an attractive target for a brand looking to get a foothold in the game or cement its position. 

I see two names in the frame at the moment. 

Oxen have taken over where ISC left off in terms of depth of clubs supplied and I could easily see Catalans fit in with this brand. 

Despite a fair bit of stick over the England world cup kit, I think both that and the training gear looks really nice. I spent my birthday money on an England hoodie and am really happy with it. 

My other tip is Macron. Best known for football and recently 6 nations rugby union, the Italian manufacturer are reputedly looking to pitch for contracts to supply clubs and have a shop right outside Stade Gilbert Brutus. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with regards to announcements and decisions with all clubs, not just Catalans Dragons looking to get the best deals possible as they start looking to recoup recent losses. 

Maybe Nike are coming back ? 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

O'neils store now having a sale.